Mac Text to SpeechThis app reads documents for you and pronounces the text in a choice of voices. You can save the audio to file. And it is very easy to start, stop and select another voice, and change the speed of reading. Nice for kids, great writing tool, for presenters and as a media production utility. Read4Me now for sale in the Mac AppStore in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish.
International LanguagesSystem Preferences -> Speech -> System Voice -> Customize...• Open Microsoft Word documents, Rich Text, HTML, Open Office, and many other types of text files.
With a little effort you will be able to use Read4me in many languages because the Mac OS X Speech engine allows plug-ins. Please refer to this page for more information on downloading extra voices for Mac OS X.
Read4Me speaking several languages and dialects, these samples were created using Read4Me: Arabic, Australian, British English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish English, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Scottish English, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, and a bit of Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Thai when you download additional voices from Apple.
Features & Benefits
• Create a soundtrack with dialogs in multiple voices, saving to audio file or AudioBook format.
• Read text selected within other applications from the "Services" menu.
• Change speed of reading to your preference.
• Fine-tune the text with Voice Coach (rate, volume, pauses, etc).
• Save your document to Rich Text Format, or to plain text file.
• Check your spelling in many languages, you can mix languages in the same file.
• If you use more than one foreign language on the Mac, then you can select the order of your preferred set in the Language & Text panel of System Preferences. Read4me will use this preference in its speech panel to sort, so voices can be selected based on their major language. Dialects are grouped together.
Reviews of Read4Me
- mac360.com Cheap: Have Your Mac Read To You, And Record The Voice
- mac.appstorm.net Four Ways to Get Your Mac Talking
- blippy.com Read4Me App Reviews
- learner.in Video review
- www.slidetomac.com Read4me; l’app che legge i documenti e crea AudioBooks
- www.pianetatech.it Read4Me, l’App su Mac per la creazione di audiolibri
Links with more information on Apple’s TTS:
- www.apple.com Apple - OS X Lion - Over 250 new features. Read about all of them.
- www.tuaw.com OS X Lion introduces new, multilingual, high-quality text-to-speech voices
- www.appleinsider.com Inside Mac OSX 10.7 Lion: Dozens of new high quality multilingual speech voices
- hints.macworld.com 10.7: Install the new voices Mac OS X Hints
- osxdaily.com MacOS X Lion Adds Amazing New Text-to-Speech Voices - Listen to Samples
- news.softpedia.com Lion 'Voices' Now Available for Download
- geekbeat.tv OS X Lion VoiceOver Goes International
- www.netputing.com OSX Lion Nuance voices now available for download.
Launch Read4me with a specific (sub)set of languages
You can switch your language settings simply by selecting different languages in the International pane of System Preferences. It is tedious, however, to keep going back to System Preferences to reset your preferred language for a specific project. Instead, you can provide a preferred set of languages from the command-line, using the Terminal application:
$ /Applications/Read4me.app/Contents/MacOS/Read4me -AppleLanguages "(French,German,Italian,Spanish)" &